Our Campus

Our Elmwood Avenue campus is situated at the edge of Buffalo’s Delaware Park, designed by America’s foremost landscape architect, Frederick Law Olmsted. Its main buildings—one neoclassical and one modern—were designed by celebrated American architects Edward B. Green, of Green & Wicks, and Gordon Bunshaft, of Skidmore, Owings and Merrill. A third building, Clifton Hall, houses staff offices.

Building the Buffalo AKG Art Museum

Our Elmwood Avenue campus has opened as the Buffalo AKG Art Museum. As part of the expansion project, the museum has constructed a signature new building, the Jeffrey E. Gundlach Building, on the north side of its campus and has renovated its current facilities. 

Campus History Timeline

Trace the evolution of the museum’s campus, from groundbreaking for its first permanent home in spring 1900 to our current campus development and expansion project.

Land Acknowledgement

The first permanent gallery of the Buffalo Fine Arts Academy was constructed on the traditional land of the Seneca (Onödowá’ga), part of the Six Nations Confederacy (Hodinöhsö:ni’), and it is on this land that the Buffalo AKG Art Museum resides today. The native occupants of this land were among the estimated 10 million Native Americans in precolonial North America who were displaced. 

For many residents of Western New York, the legacy of displaced Native Americans is visible only as place names and street signs—including the Scajaquada Corridor immediately north of the museum campus. As an institution, we collectively acknowledge this land as the traditional home of the Seneca and honor the Native American members of our community who continue to bear the burden of this history as they live nearby and among us. We are grateful to live, work, and learn on this land.