Fifty Paintings, 1905–1913: The Fiftieth Anniversary Exhibition
Saturday, May 14, 1955–Sunday, June 12, 1955
This exhibition gathered together fifty paintings that represent the major trends that developed between the years when the Albright Art Gallery was opened (in 1905) and when the Armory Show was installed (in 1913). It offered a selective view of the development of nineteenth and twentieth century painting. Thanks to the knowing eye of A. Conger Goodyear, who turned the museum’s attention toward the new developments in painting, and to the generosity of Seymour H. Knox, Jr., his family, and other donors who established the Room of Contemporary Art, the years both before and after this period are unusually well represented in the Albright-Knox’s collection.